Cybersecurity is a highly advanced process of defending computers, mobile devices, networks, servers, electronic systems, and data from malicious attacks. A significant part of the data can be sensitive information, financial data, intellectual property, personal information, or any other type of data for which unauthorized access or exposure could have negative consequences. It is also known as electronic information security or information technology security. It is beneficial for different contexts, from business to mobile computing.
Cybersecurity can be divided into some common categories such as Network Security, Application Security, Information security, Operational security, Disaster recovery and business continuity, and End-user education. It also involves several new and advanced technologies, processes, and practices designed for protection from attacks, unauthorized access, and damage. Nowadays, it is more crucial than ever to protect our businesses online because cyber attacks can happen anytime and anywhere.
For an active cybersecurity process, an organization is required to coordinate its efforts throughout its entire information system and management. They transfer vital data across networks and to other devices for business purposes, and cybersecurity describes the discipline dedicated to protecting that information and the systems used to process or store it. With cybercrimes increasing rapidly, it’s crucial to have cybersecurity in place. Companies are even offering cyber security certification courses to help employees upskill and learn about its various concepts.
This article is all about a career in cybersecurity and how one can get started in this domain.
A Career In Cyber Security
“Being a cybersecurity Professional, You are responsible for the organization’s data’s safety and security.”
So a career in cybersecurity is full of responsibilities and duties, which are fulfilled with a lot of time, dedication, and attention. Nowadays, cybersecurity professionals are in great demand as there is a rapid increase in cybercrimes every day. Several companies are seeking cybersecurity experts because of the vast gap between the number of existing security professionals and the cybersecurity challenges faced daily.
Choosing a Career In Cybersecurity- There are various levels of job roles that can be chosen in the profession, from entry-level positions like network administrator to advanced roles like Cyber Security Architect. These security professionals are wanted in companies across the world because of their importance in data security, but the availability of skilled professionals who can handle the security issues is significantly less. So it is worth choosing a career in cybersecurity.
Qualifications Needed- Having a college degree is the right way to start a career in cybersecurity, but not the only way. Professionals who achieve certification after taking some training can also become eligible for cybersecurity roles.
Skills Required To Choose a Career In Cybersecurity- Besides college degrees and certifications, every security expert must achieve some soft skills that can help one grow in the cybersecurity field. Practical training is also required to shine up in this career. Must-develop soft skills are:
- Problem Solver- It is a required skill to become a successful security expert as you have chosen to be in the world of problems, so better be a problem solver.
- Avenger- As we know that cybercrime damages are worth almost $6 trillion all over the world, so a cybersecurity professional must be an Avenger who can wear different hats, save the data and defend it from cyber-attack.
- Enthusiast- A cybersecurity expert must be an enthusiast and take up more responsibilities. He must be inspired by the surroundings and must be passionate about solving the problems creatively.
- Quick Learner- A security expert must also be a quick learner and curious about the new technologies that are used in cybersecurity issues.
Top Job roles in Cybersecurity Career- There are several job opportunities available in cybersecurity to grow your career as a security expert. Some of the top roles are mentioned below.
Security Architect, Security Consultant, Penetration tester, Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), Cryptographer, Security Analyst, Security Engineer, Security auditor, Security director, System Administrator, Incident Responder, Security Specialist, Source Code Auditor, Consultant, etc.
How To Start With Cybersecurity
Cybersecurity is a vast field, and there are many different paths when it comes to how to get into cybersecurity for beginners. Below mentioned are a few key factors to get started with cybersecurity.
- Is a College Degree mandatory for Cybersecurity- If someone has a computer science or related degree, it will likely expand the cybersecurity career options. People with non-technical backgrounds can also start with cybersecurity, but some formal training would be necessary for them. Cybersecurity is all about learning new technologies, so it is necessary to increase the interest and willingness to learn how the technology works.
- Getting Started- There are many ways to get started with cybersecurity. Get specialization in mobile device forensics, penetration testing, security awareness, or endpoint security that are great places to start exploring. Some basics to get started with cybersecurity are:
Systems- Learn the basics of administering a system. The two widely used operating systems are Windows and Linux. Learning how to administrate a system with the help of command-line and include scripting is an extremely powerful skill.
Applications- It’s beneficial to learn how to configure, maintain, and run common applications of computer programs like databases, web server, or DNS server.
Networking- It is an invaluable skill that refers to the practice of transferring and exchanging information between nodes over a shared channel in an information system.
- Build a Lab / Hands-on Learning Environment- It is the best way to learn all skills by setting up your own lab by creating multiple virtual operating systems on the same computer at home using Microsoft’s Azure or Amazon’s AWS. It is helpful in the hands-on learning experience.
- Learn From Cybersecurity courses online- It is also a key element for launching a career in cybersecurity. Try attending a reliable cybersecurity program online and keep yourself updated with new trends and technologies by learning from industry experts.
So if you have always been curious to get started in cybersecurity, don’t let your background or education determine your career path or limit your options. What matters the most is the passion and desire to learn cybersecurity. Start developing your skills in IT security and find your niche with lots of opportunities.