If you are thinking of creating a website, one of the first steps you should take is to choose the name of your business on the Internet or, in other words, choose your appropriate web domain.
Choosing a good domain name is vital, as it will motivate users to visit your site (or not). It will even position you if you choose a keyword related to your business.
It is true that the task of choosing a suitable domain, through platforms such as IONOS , can be difficult due to the immense competition that exists. However, there are some tricks and tips that you should know, because they will help you choose the perfect name for your web domain so that it fulfills its objective.
Choose domain name: Tips
The domain will be the name of your website or blog. That is, your site will be known by that domain name, and there can never be two web pages with the same name and extension (although there is a possibility that you will find the same name with another extension).
But to delve deeper into this topic, we are going to detail some important issues that you must take into account when choosing a good domain name depending on what types of web pages are involved.
Types of web domain
A domain is made up of two parts; the domain name and its extension. Both are important when choosing a good domain for your website.
If we use the example of this website, we can say that the domain name is ‘madridnyc’ and the extension is ‘.es’.
To know what you need and how to choose a domain name, you should know the types of web domains that exist:
1. Brand dominance:
This domain name is intended to enhance your personal or corporate brand. To do this, it must be easy to remember. Therefore, these include the name of the company or brand and do not carry SEO. For example: mariajimenez.es.
2. SEO or keyword domain:
If you want to choose a domain name to boost the SEO positioning of your website, this type of domain is what you are looking for.
3. Brand and keyword combination
Another option is to choose a keyword or seo domain name and combine it with your brand name. On the one hand, you can add your brand name + a keyword, although if it is very competitive, we do not recommend it.
And you can also add your brand name + long tail keyword, this is less competitive than a general keyword. Although you will have to assess if the domain name is too long and if in the end your objective is not clear.
4. Domain extensions (.com, .es…)
Once you have thought of your domain name, the next step will be to choose the domain extension. These are the types that exist:
- .com: It is the most used and encompasses all the countries of the world. In addition, it is the easiest for users to remember, so whenever you can choose .com. Being more demanded, these are usually more expensive.
- .es (country extension): Depending on the country you are going to sell with your business, you can choose between .es (Spain), .mx (Mexico), .ro (Romania), etc. These are cheaper than the previous extension, although for seo the previous one has more effects.
- .net and .org: They are international extensions like .com, but if the latter is already taken or is too expensive, you will always have .net or .org.
- Others: .info (to publish information) or .tv (pages that broadcast movies, series or programs) are less well known. And they are not recommended to use unless you are known.
Other tips to choose a suitable domain
In addition to taking into account these tips to choose a good domain name for your website, these are other tips that you should consider to choose the right domain:
- Find a short domain name (10-15 characters).
- Try to make it easy to read, pronounce, and spell to make it memorable.
- Avoid using numbers, hyphens, and other symbols.
- In addition to registering the main domain with an extension (.com), also do it with other extensions (.es) if you are going to target a specific national market. For example, in MadridNYC we have .com and .es.
- Make sure that the name you are going to choose is not a registered trademark.
- If you get stuck, use a domain name generator tool.
- If you want to use a keyword, but the name is taken, add a suffix (mesaparaestudiarpro.com).
It is likely that after choosing a domain name, you wonder where to buy it. You can buy your domain and hosting separately, or hire them together with the same company.
We recommend that you take a look at these providers, which in addition to a good price, offer good features, including support.
These are the ones we recommend:
- web company
We hope we have helped you choose the domain name with these practical tips. Now it’s your turn to put them into practice ;-).