For a few years it has been perceived that images in online marketing work very well. Whether on blogs, websites or social networks, an image gallery is a great tool for attracting users and, why not?, new customers.
In fact, in the last year we have seen how some channels have taken the leap and allow galleries to be included where they previously only allowed one image. The latest to join this trend has been Instagram, which since the beginning of the year allows you to combine up to 10 photos and videos in a single publication.
In addition to playing an important role in social networks, they also do so in other communication channels, and even more so in relation to online marketing, where users receive constant advertising impacts throughout the day.
Today I want to tell you in this guest post how to take advantage of this resource on your WordPress website or blog by creating an image gallery in the best possible way.
The role of images on your website
In general figures, the latest studies on the behavior of users in digital channels stipulate that messages that are accompanied by an image receive at least 14% more interactions.
If the publication combines text with several images, infographics or videos, the reach becomes much greater, exceeding 70% increase in interactions.
In addition to being reflected in the engagement of your content, including an image gallery on your site will help you in many other ways. Let’s see its benefits:
- Attract followers : As I said, images generate more interactions than content that is made up of text only. These interactions help more people see your posts and the reach grows much more. If the content is of quality, you will convert those impacts into new followers.
- Strengthen the information : Illustrating the texts with images will help users retain your messages better, since it is usually easier to remember images than texts.
- Clarify concepts : Sometimes it is easier to explain something with images than with words, so they can be a good resource to clarify concepts and ideas.
- Improve SEO positioning : This will happen as long as you work with the images properly, specifying their title, their alt text, etc. In the next section I give you advice on this.
- Expand your results on Google : In addition to appearing in normal search results, you will be able to appear in image results. They can even perform a search from an image and bring up your web page.
Once you know how to work with images well and establish a work routine, creating an image gallery or uploading individual photographs will not require too much effort. However, as you can see, its benefits can be many, especially if you are going to design a landing page .
Basic tips to insert images well
To enhance your content strategy thanks to the use of beautiful images, it is not enough to upload the images to your website and forget about them.
The experience with your own content and the rest of the channels that you usually use are the aspects that will determine how you should treat each image. However, there are some general tips that I can give you to insert them well on your site:
- Title, description and alt text : Filling in the text fields of each image is necessary for several reasons. On the one hand, because it is the way to facilitate access to the information on your website for blind people. On the other, because Google cannot “read” the images, and in this way you explain the information they contain. And, finally, because it is decisive to be able to position them. You must include your keywords, the name of the brand or business, etc. You don’t have to be heavy, or try to put all the information in each image, but take advantage of the space they give us.
- Size : The size of the images will depend on each site. It influences what the width of the text is, if they are going to go in a sidebar, etc. What you should keep in mind is that if you are going to share them on social networks, it is best to upload them to the web in a size that will later look good on the social profile you usually use. This way you save work and make it easier for information to flow through all channels.
- Weight : The weight of the images greatly influences the loading speed of the web page, and this in the SEO positioning and the user experience. Therefore, try to make the images as small as possible without affecting the quality.
- Quality : The images you use should be sharp and good. Avoid enlarging or distorting them, as quality will be lost and you will notice it in its effectiveness. Users value the work and will always share a quality image more than one that is not good.
- Distribution : The relevant information should appear at the beginning of the web page or blog, at the top. Therefore, if you are going to include an image gallery, I recommend inserting it at the beginning, or at least indicating that they will be able to find it throughout the content. If there are going to be several single images, the ideal is to alternate them with the text, making the reading more dynamic.
Depending on the design of your website, the use of images will fit better in one way or another, but by following these tips you will see how it improves the effectiveness of your graphic resources in general.
How to Create an Image Gallery in WordPress
WordPress is currently the most popular CMS, both in blogs and in company or business websites. For this reason, I am going to explain how to insert your image gallery with this content manager, either natively or with plugins.
In both cases, it is important to take care of the aspects that we have seen in the list of tips that I just gave you above. The good thing is that, in addition, any plugin will allow you to manage all that information without problems.
Embed a native gallery
The WordPress CMS allows you to generate an image gallery natively, that is, without the need to download and install any plugin. It is true that it has limitations that can be overcome with the help of plugins, but you can easily achieve very good quality finishes.
When you click on the “Add object” button in an entry or on a page of your site, the multimedia library opens (as you already know) that collects all the graphic and audiovisual content that you have been uploading.
In the left sidebar it gives you the option to “Create gallery” with the files that are uploaded or with new ones that you can upload from that screen. You can select as many images as you want to create the gallery and then edit it to decide how to display them.
When you edit an image gallery in WordPress, several aspects can be determined:
- Link : By editing the “Link to” option you can select that clicking on an image from the gallery opens it in its original size, redirects to a page within your site or does nothing.
- Columns : Determines how many columns the images are distributed in the gallery.
- Order : You can establish that they come out in random order or as you have inserted them.
If this customization is not enough for you, you may be interested in using a plugin that we are going to see next.
5 Plugins to create an image gallery
For those who need more options and possibilities when it comes to inserting their images on a web page or blog, we are going to see some plugins that make the task easier. Choosing one or the other will depend on your needs and your ease in content management.
1. NextGEN Gallery
It is one of the most popular, because it is one of the most complete. Also, a point in its favor is that it is a very intuitive plugin.
It is available in several languages including Spanish, and is updated very often. It has 12 different designs to create the galleries and it adapts to mobile devices.
Free plugin, like the previous one, that allows you to order categories within an image gallery. It has 7 different designs and various widgets to insert into your site. The downside is that many of its options are only available in the paid version.
Although it is a less well-known plugin than the previous ones, it also has quite a few options. It works for all types of publications, including WooComerce stores and for all types of video files, images and even PDFs.
It is responsive, has three different designs for the galleries and is fully customizable, both image by image and the entire gallery.
Surely it is the one with the most concise name of all, and it leaves no room for doubt, it is used to create an image gallery in a very simple way.
It is an intermediate step between the WordPress galleries and the other plugins. In other words, it allows you to improve the CMS gallery but it does not have as many options as its competitors. It is suitable for those who are looking for a little more freedom, but also do not want to waste too much time on this.
Ideal plugin for those who share content on social networks very frequently. It allows you to create galleries with previously shared images on the brand’s social profiles.
By connecting the social profiles to the plugin, it tracks the images and adds them to the gallery of your choice and then publishes it on the site.
An image gallery is a good resource for a web page as long as you know how to work with it. With a little dedication, it’s easy to achieve professional results that will improve your relationship with users and with Google.
If what you need is to create a custom gallery, surely installing a plugin is your best option, but if you are looking for something simple, the options offered by WordPress will be more than valid.