LinkedIn is the quintessential business social network. In fact, in recent years, the number of active users has increased markedly. LinkedIn is a great gold mine!
On this social network, on the one hand you can work on your personal brand and build relationships with other professionals and, on the other hand, LinkedIn is ideal for job hunting.
Therefore, the better you optimize your LinkedIn profile, the more you will attract the attention of those responsible for human resources or the person in charge of hiring in a company, as well as other professionals who require your services.
How to make a professional LinkedIn profile
LinkedIn is a great tool for networking and building relationships with other contacts in your industry. But, if you want to stand out from your competition, you have no choice but to improve your LinkedIn profile and work on some details that we will see below.
Tips to improve your LinkedIn profile
Let us tell you that there is no ideal LinkedIn profile model. But there are a series of guidelines that you must follow to get a good LinkedIn profile and achieve your goals, whether it is to find clients, a job or network with contacts in your sector. These are:
- Use a profile photo that conveys a professional image. It is preferable that you use a close-up photo, where your face is centered, that has good light and that looks sharp. And also add a cover photo that is in line with your brand essence.
- Make a good description of who you are in the title. The title is the one that appears just below your name. And it is what anyone looking for you on the Internet will pay attention to the most, since it is the section that appears in Google. Therefore, you must create an attractive headline that includes a keyword. After the title, the other section they will read will be your excerpt. Here concisely express why they should hire you, using catchy phrases to leave them wanting to know more about you.
- Keep your professional profile updated. Remember that you must be active on LinkedIn and this implies updating your work experience, your latest jobs, your achievements or any other section of your profile.
- Include keywords in your profile. In addition to including keywords in the headline, you should add more keywords related to your sector in your profile so that they find you more easily.
- Fill in your contact information to the fullest. Add as much personal information as you can. Here you must add your phone number, email, website (if you have one), Twitter account or date of birth. The most important are your email, telephone and website so that they can locate you in other ways.
- Highlight your skills, achievements and abilities. Try to be as precise as possible when choosing the abilities gained. If you don’t know which one to choose, you can always look at your competition. On the other hand, in the achievements section you can include publications, certifications, patents, courses, projects, awards, languages, among others. Complete those that make sense to you.
- Create a custom URL. Another key to improving your LinkedIn profile is to create personalized URLs, as they give a more professional image. As a general rule, when you open a profile on LinkedIn, the system generates an automatic URL with numbers. We recommend that you personalize it with your name and surname. You can do this in the Edit Profile tab and then click on the URL under your name. From there you can modify it.
- Get recommendations. This is nothing more than social proof, which gives credibility to what you say you know how to do or the experience you say you have. Recruiters and employers pay close attention to recommendations to validate your profile and contact you for an interview. So ask your colleagues or bosses to go through your profile and recommend you. It will be much help!
- Connect with other people. Send requests to other contacts related to your industry or that interest you to establish a future connection. Here we recommend that when sending the request, you do not send the default text that LinkedIn has and create your own, explaining the reason why you want to connect with that person.
- Participate in groups. Join those groups with which you share an affinity or topics of interest. Afterwards, it is not worth being just a mere spectator. Be active in the groups, sharing interesting content, giving your opinion as a professional on a topic and generating debate. This movement in groups will help you increase the visibility of your LinkedIn profile.
Examples LinkedIn profiles
If you want to improve your profile on LinkedIn, after completing your profile, you can start by analyzing how your competition is doing. So, start looking for examples of Linkedin profiles related to your sector.
It is not about copying anyone, but knowing some of the best LinkedIn profiles is ideal to know what keyword you are interested in to position yourself in this social network. Look especially at the title and how many times they use the keyword in the profile.
Here I have compiled the 3 best examples of LinkedIn profiles. eye! We recommend that depending on the sector in which you move, look for similar profiles in that field.
These are just good examples that will help you to have a more complete vision on how to create a powerful and optimized LinkedIn profile:
Other doubts about having a good LinkedIn profile
After going through the most practical tips for a good LinkedIn profile, you probably have some questions about how to create a LinkedIn profile for companies.
We are going to solve, in a summarized way, all these doubts:
Is there a model LinkedIn profile?
Although there is no exclusive model to optimize a LinkedIn profile, as you have seen there are many examples of successful LinkedIn profiles that have something in common.
As you can see, everyone has a 100% complete profile, they give importance to the profile and cover photo, they are active and participate in groups. Likewise, they use keywords to differentiate themselves, in addition to having worked on their extract with hook phrases.
How to create or open a LinkedIn profile for companies?
Keep in mind that to create a company page on LinkedIn you have to meet some requirements:
- Be an employee of the company.
- Have an email with the domain of the company.
- Your profile’s performance meter needs to be intermediate or all-star (you can see it in the Your Dashboard section).
- Exceed 50 contacts.
After completing this, you can now create your company page on LinkedIn, following these steps:
- Click the top right button, ‘Products’, and click at the very bottom on ‘Company Pages +’.
- Select the type of page you want to create (small business, medium business, products, educational institution).
- Complete the details of the company profile.
- Check the checkbox.
- And finally click ‘Create page’!
How to switch from personal to company profile on LinkedIn?
Think that you can have a professional profile and a company profile on LinkedIn, just like on other social networks. But there is no option to switch from personal to company profile.
The ideal is to use both the professional profile and the company profile; with the first you can work on your personal brand and show your professional career; and, with the second, you will focus more on the values and philosophy of your company.
The combination of both profiles is useful to improve your visibility, get clients and position yourself as a benchmark in the sector.
We hope you will apply all these tips and be inspired by these examples to improve your LinkedIn profile. In addition to being inspired by those of your competition to know what words can help you position yourself in the search engine of this social network.