The business of expired domains
Building an image on the web is a process that takes months and even years. It is about forming an entire strategy of SEO , link building, marketing and projection in social networks. After this the results in search engine positioning will be sustainable. But what if you could get all of this in just a few days? That’s what the expired domain business is all about.
Expired domains are those that have been abandoned by their owners. These for some reason did not renew the license generating a site release process . During this, different times are handled, ranging from 42 to 72 days before the record is completely deleted.
After removal, the Page Rank, incoming links or authority do not disappear. And, anyone can bid on this domain. These advantageous properties can be used in different ways, some are:
- Get an optimized website where you may have to invest less to position it in Google.
- You can use these domains to create satellite blogs where you can position your main web projects.
- Create a private blog network (PBN), an advanced level strategy for SEO positioning.
Buying expired domains is a sweet deal as long as the necessary precautions are taken. Otherwise, it will end in frustration, loss of time and money.
Check list before buying an expired domain
Before buying an expired domain it is important to make a minimum evaluation of requirements. In this way you will know if acquiring it is convenient or not for your positioning or projects with the web. There are 6 points that you must take into account in your previous report.
- Check the PA and DA: You should aim for sites that have a good level of Page Authority (PA) and Domain Authority (DA), which means that they have quality inbound links, among other SEO aspects. These metrics are evaluated in a ranking that goes from 1 to 100. From 20-25 the web can be a good business. Use Moz’s Open Site Explorer or its browser toolbar to make this assessment.
- Check that it is not restricted in Google: It is important to check if the site is indexed in Google and does not present prohibitions in the search engine. You have to check it in the cache by placing the domain name. If this does not appear, it arouses suspicion.
- Analyze prohibitions in Google AdSense: A website with a bad reputation is banned from this space and that is a huge disadvantage for SEO positioning strategies and for the monetization of the project.
- Check history of web activities: Through the web archive.org you can check the past movements of the domain. This will allow you to rule out that it is involved in illicit processes, link farms, spam or that it has recently been penalized.
- No viruses: Analyze that the web is free of malware, otherwise you will have extra work that may not end well. To do this check, use tools like Google Malware Website Check or AVG web page scanner, both free.
- Ownership of the domain: Check the database or WHOIS, this will allow you to obtain information from the previous owners of the web. Examine the content associated with the domain in recent years.
Step by step How to buy expired domains?
There are a series of steps to follow to find the expired domain of your dreams. Learn the process with us.
Step 1: Set a budget
On the web you can find expired domains ranging from 8 to 2000 euros. You must set a budget considering your minimum conditions, if you are looking for a higher quality website it will be more expensive. A standard, good or average performance can be found without problems with a reduced budget. The latter is recommended if you plan to use it to create a blog and monetize it or for personal projects.
The cost of the domain is influenced by its status and the method of purchase, whether by auction or directly with the registrar. If it is in an elimination stage you can acquire it as if it were a new one. This method is the most economical while with auctions the investment goes up.
Step 2: View the domain
If you have an SEO strategy in mind, you have already established your search guidelines. It is important to visualize the type of domain name you are looking for, its characteristics and strengths. Keep track of its expiration period so you can bid on it before anyone else.
It can be a blog of your competition or a website related to your commercial activity that you are interested in linking.
Step 3: Know the status of the domain
There are different domain statuses involved in the release process. In total we could define 6 which are: renewable, pre-launch, liquidation, pending, pending to be eliminated and eliminated.
- Renewable domains or in redemption period: These addresses are still recoverable so there will be no way to bid for them. They take an average of 30 days to become available pre-launch if the owner does not renew. You can target this domain and keep track of it until it expires and you can auction for it.
- Pre-launch domains: It is in a short-term phase in which it is publicly auctioned. This happens because the owner did not renew the site so the registrar chooses to sell it. In general they are of excellent quality, but their cost is high. Whoever offers the most is the winner.
- Liquidated domain or closeout: They are those that were not sold in the public auction. If you could not bid in this modality, take advantage of the opportunity to obtain one liquidated.
- Waiting: Waiting domains are those in which the registration has not been updated or renewed. The way to get it is by contacting the registrar and the owner to make a direct purchase. Sometimes the administrator puts an ad on his website where he establishes the amount for the sale and its benefits.
- Pending to be deleted or “Dropping Domains”: These domains are about to be deleted. They can be obtained at good prices through different registration platforms. You have to contact the registration company.
- Deleted : Once the entire renewal period has ended, the domains are finally deleted. Now they can be purchased as a new one for less than $10. They maintain their PR, PA and DA strengths.
Step 4: Find tools to acquire the domain
To determine the status of a domain as well as its different metrics, it is necessary to resort to search tools and applications. Some of them are free and require only registration, while others require payment for participation in the auctions.
To search for domains the best tools are expireddomains.net, DomCop, Xenu, Register Compass and domain hunter. These offer filters to search for deleted or pending domains and also sort them by their PR level. In spaces like GoDaddy Auctions, NameJet or Pool they can also be found and registered.
To participate in the auctions you can register with expired domains, dinadot, Goddady auctions, domain peel, Namejet or Backorders, a service to search for domains . The operation is simple, just verify the domains in auction, the minimum amounts and place an amount. With all platforms you can track the process.
To check if the Page Rank of the expired domain is real, use tools such as Rank Checker, Seo Quake and calculate this metric. Sometimes these high ranks are due to 301 redirect processes or participation in link farms. The latter is heavily penalized by the search engine.
Step 5: Install your domain on the new hosting
Once you arrive at the perfect domain name and with a prior audit of the metrics, it is time to install it on your hosting. Depending on its ranking and conditions, it will be able to be hosted on VPS , dedicated or shared servers.
Your hosting will also depend on the superior domain and if it is related to any country. For example, if its ending is .es, it is advisable to look for a hosting that offers a Spanish IP . Do not take risks with free systems, in these there is a risk of platform instability.
Step 6: Final Placement Process
Finally, you will already have the domain at your disposal, with it you will be able to set up your network of private or satellite blogs or use it to make 301 redirects. With this procedure you will be able to transfer all the benefits of this website to another of your property.
This method of redirection is recommended for online stores or service businesses that seek to position themselves in a few days. It must be done with professionals or paying attention to all the steps to avoid penalties or migration errors.
Precautions when acquiring expired domains
In the world of markets and domain auctions not everything is rosy. Scams and dangers are lurking for the clueless beginners. Follow these precautions to protect your purchase.
- Check if the Page Rank is real and that it is not the product of redirects or link farms. Use the tools mentioned in previous paragraphs.
- When starting an auction, be responsible with your bid amount. If you win and do not pay, you will receive a fine ranging from 6 euros and a ban from participating in another offer for a few weeks or months.
- Investigate the age of the web. If you deal directly with the owner, make sure to find out if the information he gives you is real. Use resources like Web Confs to check the time since the creation of the domain.
- Check the history of other owners who have administered the domain. If there is an illicit or suspicious link, it is best not to risk it.
- Hire trusted hosting that offers a guarantee of good service and responsibility. A high-quality domain on unstable and outdated hosting is useless.
- If you are looking for Spanish domains, use market and auction services such as Backorders. You can also use filters to locate regional offers.
- It is not recommended to make 301 redirects to high-level websites. This method is best reserved for growing projects.
We hope that this guide to buy expired domains will help you to enter this world without problems. Let us know in the comments your experiences with this kind of methods. Do not hesitate to contact us to register and host your website with quality guarantee.